Home

History

The distinguished Forensic Medicine Professor Ioannis Georgiadis

The establishment of the Criminology Museum took place in the year 1932, in accordance to the law 5343, and its constitution began one year later. The Museum is located at the grounds of the Laboratory of Forensic Medicine and Toxicology, Faculty of Medicine, and it is the first university museum dedicated to the science of Forensic Medicine and Criminology.

The distinguished Forensic Medicine Professor Ioannis Georgiadis (1874-1960), an avid collector of evidentiary items, was its founder. Since 1912, and during the forty-year period he was Tenured Professor of Forensic Medicine and Toxicology, he collected items systematically, indefatigably and cautiously, setting that way the basis for the Museum's creation. His successors continued the enrichment of those Collections, Tenured Professors of Forensic Medicine and Toxicology, Gr. Catsas, C.Iliakis, G.Agioutadis and Ant. Coutselinis, in cooperation with the police authorities and the Greek army. The current Museum Director, Assistant Professor Constantinos Maravelias, keeps on the task of collecting evidentiary items.

Before the war, one room at Socratous Street, near Omonoia square, was housing the Museum. Later, it was moved to the building where it remained for about half a century, at the crossway of streets Solonos and Massalias. In 1974, the Laboratory of Forensic Medicine and Toxicology was moved to the newly build - at the time - Faculty of Medicine, at Goudi, where, unfortunately, there was no appropriate space and suitable infrastructure for the Criminology Museum. At the same time, works for the restoration of Massalias Street building had begun, and as a result, the exhibits were transferred and stored at a temporary storage room, at the ground floor of the Laboratory of Forensic Medicine and Toxicology, at Goudi. In 1977, the Director of the Laboratory of Forensic Medicine and Toxicology at that time, Professor Antonis Coutselinis, personally oversees the protection, re-exhibition and expansion of the Criminology Museum collection. During his Tenure, and more specifically in 1992, the Criminology Museum will open its doors again, at the first floor of the Laboratory of Forensic Medicine and Toxicology, after the construction of an additional space in the existing building.

The deposit ceremony of  the founding stone of Laboratories of Medical Faculty of the University of Athens.